import v6 from ssc export has weird characters

Dec 27 (21 days ago)
Mike Hedman wrote
I've just imported all our songs from our v6 into v7, and I'm seeing weird characters. I'm guessing it's a parsing error with the page breaks, because none of our page breaks are showing up. I delete the characters and put a manual break in the page, but I don't want to have to do this for every single song we have formatted. (We already have to reformat everything from v6).

Anyway to fix this? or should I write my own json parser on the song files to bulk update?

Thanks
Reply
3 Answers
Avatar image
Dec 28 (21 days ago)
Ben Wagner agent wrote
Hey, again Mike.

Thanks for reaching out here. Unfortunately, you're thinking is right, the Page Breaks from 6 are causing this to happen. We don't have a workaround for this other than what you've been doing with editing as you go, and we apologize for the inconvenience. If you're able to come up with something that would help, feel free to let us know by emailing support@mediashout.com!

-Ben Wagner, Customer Support Representative.
Dec 28 (21 days ago)
Mike Hedman wrote
Well, that's really unfortunate. It seems that editing the lyrics.json file won't do much because there are no abilities to actually have page breaks save with the lyrics. Which I just figured out that if i do any text formatting, page breaks, etc. I have to save it as a cue item. I can do that, but it makes me thing what's the whole point of the lyrics pseudo database?

For my use case as an example: Once I have the text of the song formatted, I may change the background week to week, but font (which i can assign from a template, Thank you!!!!), pagination (we only have a max of 4 lines displayed at a time and large font) and punctuation, doesn't change, yet it doesn't get saved in the lyric db (well, punctuation may if you edit it in the right spot).

So it seems that lyrics and cues are half redundant to each other. I'll have to import from songselect, into the lyrics, add it to a script and get it formatted and then save it to the cue db. In the end, every single one of my songs will be saved in the cue database. leaving me no reason to really need the lyric db except that its a forced function of the workflow.

Or am I wildly off here? Can I put page breaks and easily format punctuation, etc for a song in the lyric db? And I just haven't figured that out yet?
Avatar image
Dec 30 (19 days ago)
Ben Wagner agent wrote
Hey Mike,

I see where you're coming from with this. We do have a lot of users that use multiple forms of one song. The lyric database is important because it allows for you to have the original song in it's original formatting. You are able to make some changes in that Song Library as well and whenever those changes are made it should ask you if you want to save those changes to the song itself. For example, if you edit a song that had 4 lines on each stanza and you move to "insert" it should ask if you'd like to save those changes.

The cues library is the route I typically take and I feel like works best for me. I like being able to save songs, bible verses, etc. there to help the work flow a bit faster if I know that's how I'll always use those songs, bible verses, etc.

I hope this makes sense! Let us know if you have further questions!

-Ben Wagner